Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Biorhythms, I-Ching, Behavior, and Animals

Author: Kenneth Newberg

Life Cycles Research & Development

Published: 07 Jan 2006

Source: http://www.whitestranger.com/biorhythms_patterns.htm

In 1976, while serving in the U.S. Army, I was on tour of duty in what was then called West Germany. I had recently finished some advanced training in signal theory and waveform analysis. Shortly after I completed that electronics course, as fate would have it, a friend that I practiced Martial Arts with introduced me to Biorhythms. I immediately drew a parallel between these 3 cycles of life called Biorhythms (23 day Physical, 28 day Emotional, and 33 day Intellectual cycles) and the properties of electrical waveforms. It occurred to me that Biorhythms were, in part, electrical by nature since the central nervous system is a powerhouse of constantly changing electro-chemical activity.

I began experimenting with different combinations of these 3 cycles and found that there were 3 distinctive fluctuating patterns (what are now commonly known as the "Secondary Rhythms" of Passion, Mastery, and Wisdom). As time went by I began to know instinctively, without looking at my chart, what conditions these patterns were in by the mood I was in. I had never heard of "Secondary Rhythms" before so I called them "Mood Patterns". I would compare my "Mood Patterns" with my moods on a daily basis and found that they were fairly consistent.

I also saw that by combining all 3 cycles I could see a more complex pattern. Sense this was a representation of all the energies of the Biorhythms I decided to call it the "Life-Force Pattern" or "Chi Pattern" after the Asian concept of "CHI" (meaning "Life Force") that I had learned about in my Martial Arts training. Years later Natural Biorhythms would refer to it as an overall rhythm represented by a histogram. However, there still seemed to be something missing, so I continued to search for more information on the subject.

A few years later in 1979, after I finished my hitch in the Army, I decided to further my education and work towards my Masters degree in Electronics in my home state of Kentucky while I worked part time in my Parent's used book store. For recreation I continued practicing Martial Arts; and working in a used book store presented me with a massive amount of reading material on Martial Arts and related topics that I might not have had the opportunity to read otherwise. That's where I ran across a book about I-Ching which mentioned 4 cycles that started at birth. This intrigued me because up until then I had only known of 3 Biorhythms which started at birth -- but to my surprise they all had cycle lengths longer than the Physical, Emotional, and Intellectual cycles! They were the 38 day Compassion, 43 day Aesthetic, 48 day Self Awareness, and 53 day Spiritual cycles. I didn't think much more about the I-Ching cycles until the following summer of 1980 when I found a Biorhythm book that had the 38 day Intuitive cycle. That's when it all came together and the pieces started falling into place. A 38 day Intuitive Biorhythm cycle and a 38 day Compassion I-Ching cycle. Without a doubt they were the same thing.

I had found the missing link!

But at first it seemed too fantastic to be true; 7 Biorhythms, not just 3 or 4; interesting to say the least. Physical (23), Emotional (28), Intellectual (33), Intuitive/Compassion (38), Aesthetic (43), Self Awareness (48), and Spiritual (53). I was taken aback! The spacing of the cycles were 5 days apart and the Intuitive and Compassion cycles had the same length of 38 days. Obviously others had made this same discovery years earlier but I was too elated at the time with my new found knowledge to wonder why it seemed to be such a big secret.

At any rate, I began making my charts with all 7 cycles and found that this was what was missing since I first heard about Biorhythms. Instead of just 6 "Mood Patterns" I could now see that there were really 21 "Mood Patterns". I also came to realize that these patterns were more like the ebbs and flows of different types of behavior rather than just fluctuating moods, so I started calling them "Behavior Patterns" instead. And to top it off was the fact that the "Life-Force Pattern" would have more complexity to it and would allow you to see a truer picture of your general state of being like gentle waves of living fluid energy.

The most obvious "Behavior Patterns" are the Passion (Physical/Emotional), Mastery (Physical/Intellectual), and Wisdom (Emotional/Intellectual) patterns because of their duration. I've tentatively named 3 more of the 21 "Behavior Patterns". They are the Perception (Physical/Intuitive), Psychic (Emotional/Intuitive), and Success (Intellectual/Intuitive) patterns.

Over the past 25 years I have made Biorhythm charts by hand for my family and friends and have found them to be very accurate, especially when observing the "Behavior Patterns" for performance and compatibility.

These observations were not just made by myself, but also by the person's that I made the charts for. Take note when 2 and especially more than 2 "Behavior Patterns" cross or merge (rare) at the same time! ASTONISHING!

A good analogy to help illustrate how all this works would be to look at Biorhythms as radio signals in the psyche. The 7 "Primary Cycles" of Biorhythms (the unconscious signals) are read as "Active and Passive Phases" with "Active and Passive Critical Days" (the unstable days in a cycle) separating the phases. Similarly, the "Behavior Patterns" (the subconscious signals) are read as "Positive and Negative Harmonic Phases" with "Positive and Negative Switch points" (usually the weakest points in a pattern) separating the phases.

Furthermore, the strength of individual Biorhythm cycles are best seen as fluctuating between "Highs and Lows", somewhat like "Amplitude Modulation" (AM radio), but the strength of individual "Behavior Patterns" are determined more so by how close 2 cycles are to "Crossing or Merging", akin to a "Frequency Modulated" (FM radio) signal riding on an "Amplitude Modulated" carrier or wave. The amplitude of one "Behavior Pattern" may over power that of another "Behavior Pattern" to a certain degree if they happen to have a "Crossing or Merging" of their respective cycles at the same time.

All these factors are what creates the complex waveform of the "Life-Force Pattern" which explains why you are never really in the exact same mood on any 2 days of your entire life and makes predicting your behavior rather elusive.

If you have any observations that you would like to share or suggestions for names of the 21 "Secondary Rhythms" (or as I like to call them, "Behavior Patterns") please post your messages on the

Advanced Biorhythms Forum

After being bombarded with all these revelations, it dawned on me that animals may have Biorhythms too. Have you ever wondered why animals seem to choose who they like or dislike for no apparent reason? An animals psyche may be more like ours than one might think. After all, they do have emotions and show intelligence, albeit it's more on the scale of human infants or very young children. Sometimes you can even see animals dreaming as they sleep. So I decided to test my theory, and mammals seemed to be the logical test subjects. Of course I would have liked to have studied chimpanzees, being that they are the closest known living relatives to humans. Unfortunately that isn't an option for me. I'm now in the process of accumulating vital statistics on Race Horses and their Jockeys to determine if Biorhythms may have played a roll in the winners at the Kentucky Derby over the past 131 years, and Natural Biorhythms is just the program to test my hypotheses. Imagine simply plugging in a few birthdays and picking a winning horse at the race track (or even dogs for that matter) every time you placed a bet!

I've gone through several Biorhythm computer programs since 1995 (my first one was a program I wrote in QBasic), and Natural Biorhythms by Dmitry Konovalov is by far the best one I've had the pleasure of using. It has features that most other Biorhythm programs don't have. The Day Info Monitor and Relationship Advices are truly eye openers, and the Compatibility and Matching features are amazing to explore. I especially like the free upgrades and White Stranger Group doesn't hesitate to crank them out with new advances. It's very user friendly and the graphics are great. The help files are superb; easy to understand and are straight forward and easy to navigate. It's also nice to be able to print out a calendar that you can take with you anywhere for quick reference. The price is a steal and the support is fantastic! I can't speak too highly of Natural Biorhythms and White Stranger Group.

Other useful articles about biorhythms.

No comments: